Sunday 8 September 2013

Power Bar Recipe

A few of you have been asking for the recipe of the power bars I make up for myself, so here it is! It's a great post workout snack, or just something healthy and sugar free (added sugar) to fill the gap. All nutritional information is approximate and varies depending on what seeds/nuts & extras you may put in!

Enjoy and please let me know what you think.

Power Bar Recipe (Makes 24)


Prep time:

10 minutes


Ingredients:
  • 3 very ripe med/large bananas
  • 4 teaspoons of no added sugar nut butter (I use the meridian cashew and almond butters from Holland and Barrett)
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 200g rolled oats
  • 200g mixed seeds/nuts (I use sunflower, pumpkin, pine nuts and a few flaked almonds)
  • Cinnamon or ginger to add some flavour
  • (I also add flaxseed to provide me with more calories during my half marathon training).

Method:
  1. Line a baking tin (I go for 8"x8" so I get nice chunky bars) and preheat oven to 190c.
  2. Mash up the three bananas and then beat in the egg, begin to fold in the oats, mixed seeds, nut butters and cinnamon or ginger.
  3. Spread evenly into the baking tin and cook for about 15 minutes or until golden on the top.
  4. Turn onto wire rack, allow to cool then cut into 24 bars
  5. Store in an airtight containing in the fridge for about a week.

Approximate Nutritional info per bar:

Calories: 150
Carbs: 9.8g
Protein: 4.6g
Fat (the healthy ones from oats, eggs and the nuts/seeds): 9.5g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.